Birth Injuries Caused By Medical Malpractice – If your child was injured during birth, you might be wondering what caused it. Unfortunately, many birth injuries are caused by medical malpractice. This can be a devastating experience, but you don’t have to go through it alone. There are ways that you can take action and get the justice your family deserves.
Here are some common birth injuries that are often caused by medical malpractice and the steps you can take to get compensation for your family.
Common Birth Injuries Due To Medical Negligence
When a child is injured during birth, there are many potential causes. One of the most common culprits is medical negligence. This occurs when a healthcare professional fails to meet the accepted standard of care, causing injury to the child.
Following is the list of birth injuries that are often caused by medical malpractice:
- Cerebral palsy – This is a condition that affects movement and muscle coordination. It is caused by damage to the brain, which can often result from a lack of oxygen during labor or delivery.
- Erb’s palsy – This condition affects the nerves in the arm. It is often caused by the improper use of forceps during delivery.
- Brachial Plexus Injury – A brachial plexus injury is when the nerves in your child’s hand, shoulder, wrist, or elbow are damaged. This can often happen when the doctor uses too much force while helping the baby come out.
- Klumpke’s paralysis – Klumpke’s paralysis happens when the baby is pulled out with an arm that extends above its head, leading to nerve damage in the lower brachial plexus.
- Facial paralysis – Sometimes, babies are born with a problem that makes one side of their face not work right. This is called facial paralysis. It can be caused by medical negligence, which means that the doctors or nurses were not careful when assisting in the baby’s birth.
How Can You Take Action Against Medical Malpractice?
If you believe that your child’s birth injury was due to medical negligence, there are a few things you can do:
- Talk to a lawyer – It is essential to talk to a lawyer specializing in medical malpractice cases. They will be able to help you understand your rights and what options are available to you.
- File a complaint – You can file a complaint with the hospital or clinic where the injury occurred. This may help get the hospital’s attention and lead to an investigation.
- Start a lawsuit – If talking to the hospital or filing a complaint doesn’t seem to be helping, you may want to consider filing a lawsuit against the healthcare professionals who were involved in your child’s birth.
How Can You Win The Case?
While filing a lawsuit, there are several things your attorney will need to prove to win your case. These include:
- Healthcare professionals failed to meet the accepted standard of care
- The negligence in medical care caused the injury
- The child has suffered damages as a result of the injury
If you can prove all of these things, you may be able to receive compensation for your family. It can help cover medical costs, lost wages, and other damages caused by birth injuries that are often caused by medical malpractice.
Filing a lawsuit is a big decision; you should talk to a lawyer before doing anything. No one should have to go through the pain of watching their child suffer from a birth injury. Don’t hesitate to take action if you think your child’s injury was caused by medical negligence.