Is Organic Baby Formula Worth It – Whether you’re just transitioning from human milk or choosing a store-bought formula since birth, the product you buy will greatly influence your baby’s growth. All infant formulas have macro- and micronutrients essential for the baby’s health. Yet, not all ingredients are good for your infant.
Naturally, your attention is drawn to an organic baby formula. Is it better than the standard one, though? Let’s find out!
Understanding The Basics Of Organic Baby Formula
You can’t blame an overwhelmed parent when the time comes to picking one infant formula. Holle and Kendamil, HiPP and Lebenswert baby formula… There’s so much to choose from these days!
Then, when you’re studying the ingredient list, it gets even more confusing. Many non-organic formulas contain syrups, lactose, palm oil, and more. No one knows how these will impact your baby’s growth and overall health.
On the other hand, what does an “organic” label on an infant formula mean? To understand that, let’s study organic farming practices and their ultimate goals:
- reduced pollution;
- self-sustaining farming practices;
- safe and healthy livestock habitats;
- natural behaviour in livestock;
- best soil and water quality.
Given that baby formula manufacturers follow all those rules, the product will also be pure. There are no GMO ingredients, hormones, or antibiotics present, either. As a parent, you’ll feel calm when feeding your baby organic baby food.
Pros Of Organic Baby Formula
Now we know what exactly “organic” means on baby formula packaging. Time to dive deeper into the positive aspects of feeding your baby pure and organic products.
- Reduced chemical exposure. Although standard formula doesn’t contain enough chemicals to harm your baby, it’s still better to opt for organic variants. The latter has a reduced amount of pesticides. Pesticides can affect your baby’s development from a young age. Better safe than sorry!
- Short ingredient list. Comparing baby formula ingredients can be a daunting task. Yet, there’s a clear difference in the organic formulas’ ingredient list. So, if you’re worried about your baby’s reaction to certain ingredients and potential allergies, opt for an organic formula. There won’t be GMOs, flavourings, and added colours.
- Hormone and antibiotic-free. Traditional formulas made from cow milk contain a higher level of hormones and antibiotics. They can increase your baby’s risk of obesity and antibiotic resistance when they grow up. Unfortunately, that also means a rather high allergy risk. Hormones and antibiotics are banned in organic foods, making organic baby formula hypoallergenic.
- Easy to digest. There are fewer ingredients in organic baby formula. Naturally, your baby will have an easy time digesting it. If you find your baby struggling with tummy issues, switch to organic products and see an instant difference!
Cons Of Organic Baby Formula
There are a lot of benefits to feeding your infant organic baby formula. But even organic products have a few downsides, depending on the baby’s health and your personal beliefs. Here’s something to consider before switching to European organic infant formulas.
- High price. It’s important to mention that organic formula’s exceptional ingredient list comes with a hefty price. Some parents might not be able to choose it based simply on the price tag. Most organic baby foods come from Europe, adding to the cost of transportation, too.
- Hard to find in stores. That said, most organic formulas are not available in brick-and-mortar stores. Yet, it’s not a big problem if you’re willing to shop online. Countless online stores will be happy to provide you with high-quality baby food.
- Confusing formula stages. Since most organic baby food is made in the EU, American parents might be confused by the different formula “stages” they come in, like PRE and 1 to 4. If you don’t switch the formulas as your baby grows, it can easily lead to nutritional deficiencies.
- Different taste. Apart from allergic reactions, your baby might not like the taste of the new formula. Some organic baby formula can be bitter, sour, or even fishy. Shop for the one that tastes sweet instead.
We can’t collectively say that an organic baby formula is better than a standard one. While some parents like its hypoallergenic properties, others will skip it in stores due to its high price. In the end, you’re the only one who can make a decision based on your views and priorities.