Gastric band in Turkey – Gastric band surgery is a procedure used to help people lose weight by reducing the amount of food they eat. This procedure involves inserting a device into the stomach to reduce its size and make it more likely to digest food.
If you or any of your loved ones are considering gastric band surgery abroad, especially in Turkey or any other country outside the EU, there are a few things you should know first.
Gastric Band in Turkey – Pros and Cons
- The gastric banding procedure is a simple, low-risk option with few complications. Compared to other gastric surgeries, gastric band surgery has a quicker recovery time, smaller scars, and less pain. It also results in a shorter hospital stay.
- The gastric band surgery before and after photos from a multitude of people prove that the procedure itself is efficient, albeit less so than its more permanent „colleagues“.
- It is by far the cheapest weight loss surgery, and one of the most popular ones.
- The possible complications of gastric band surgery include infections, blood clots, and other medical issues. These complications are more likely to occur in patients who have underlying health conditions or who have had other types of surgery.
- To cut expenses, overall cheap and low-quality equipment may be used. For example, the general cost of the one-time disposable operation equipment set is £1500-1700. With many clinics and hospitals in Turkey offering surgery for £2000 raises the question of whether they:
- Work with losses, because there are many other costs involved in addition to the equipment.
- Use cheap and low-quality equipment.
- Reuse their non-reusable equipment.
Cheap and low-quality equipment implies a much higher percentage of post-op complications such as leakage, infections, etc. Unfortunately, there is plenty of medical proof of gastric band surgery in Turkey harbouring these risks.
Gastric Band’s Prices in Turkey
The main lure of travelling so far from one’s country are the prices, of course, whether it be in the United Arab Emirates, Turkey, etc. Gastric band in Turkey can easily cost ¼ or less than in your home country.
The medium, all-inclusive gastric band package in Turkey falls around 5450 USD (approximately 4800 EURO). It may prove wise though to always check what exactly is included.
Gastric Band Alternatives in the European Union
However, gastric band in Turkey is not the only affordable option and in the light of the previous we recommend looking into the options available in Eastern European countries, protected by the EU laws and regulations, starting with the highly popular and well recommended Weight Loss Riga clinic in Latvia, EU.
Also, while gastric bands have a reasonably good short-term success rate, many gastric band patients end up having revisions to bypass mid and long-term. This is one of the main reasons why gastric band is left out from the “menu” by Latvian clinics, the others being a greater number of complications and tedious aftercare with band adjusting and whatnot.
We hope that after reading this article, you can make a more informed decision and wish you a happy journey to your best self!